Monday, February 23, 2015

The 1960's School Desk Project

Around Christmas time I got my hands on a 1960's school desk, graciously given to me by one of Chris' cousins. I have had it sitting in the school room at our house since then. Today I finished my project of cleaning it up, and spiffing it up.

Not the exact desk; mine was in better condition, but I didn't take a "before" picture, oops.


I painted the metal base with a hammered pewter spray paint, then sanded down the chair wood, staining it darker, then I stained the edges of the table, and finally made the tabletop a chalkboard.

All pretty
I wanted it to feel even older, more vintage, more rustic. The table top was a laminate, so there is no staining that, but I think the chalkboard top adds more dimension and functionality to this cute little guy.

Cost:
Desk - hand-me-down, $0
Spray paint - already in garage, $0
Stain - already in garage, $0
Chalkboard laminate top - already in crafts, $0

Total cost of desk makeover : FREE
Ah, my favorite number ;)


M.LEWIS

No comments:

Post a Comment