Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Food Hunter pt. 2

To update you on my food adventures, I have since made chili, pumpkin muffins and ...well, taco salad...but that one I cheated on.

The chili was good. I did alter it some to better fit my family's tastes, but after it cooked in the crock pot all day, I declare it a success. It wasn't anything too unique, it was your basic chili recipe, but I had never made my own before.
I would, and most likely will, make it again. Especially on the cold, dreary days of winter, I think a big bowl of chili sounds perfect. It makes plenty of left-over for this small group, so I had to use it again somehow.
Enter the taco salad. I did see a recipe online for this, read it, and decided it was basically chili. And wouldn't you know, I had a whole tub of it stored in the refrigerator already. Add in some lettuce and crumble some chips, and tada! Taco Salad.

Now, the pumpkin muffins. I'm not going to lie, I had high hopes, and I was a bit disappointed. I wanted something with pumpkin and brown sugar...I love brown sugar. But, I didn't want anything too rich, too sugary, or too caloric. I found this recipe on pinterest and tried it out.
It had way too many ingredients, it stuck to the paper wrappers horribly, and it didn't really taste much like anything. I probably won't be making them again.

I still would like to find a breakfast food recipe like a muffin, or a "cookie", something I can make in a batch and hand out to the girls all week long. Lorelai loves muffins, waffles, etc. She does not like cereal or oatmeal...she can't wonder around the room with it, nibbling it slowly. If you have any ideas, please send them my way.

I still have a recipe for pumpkin cream cheese bread I need to try, and I have several more meals this week to try. I'll post my progress on those later.

Also, if you would like any of the recipes I mentioned, I can post them as well...I just haven't found any that I think would be worth it yet. But hey, at least I am making fresh food, nothing frozen and packed with preservatives. It's a win in my book. :)


M.LEWIS

No comments:

Post a Comment