Monday, April 28, 2014

Smaller is Better

I awhile ago, I mentioned my struggles with losing baby weight. I do avoid writing about this topic because, as you remember, I really hate talking about weight. Honestly, the scale can say whatever number it likes, I just want to feel good and look healthy...and fit into my favorite clothes.

It's been about 7 months since my first post. At that point I had lost about 2-3 lbs since attempting to lose the baby weight (about 3 months). Not impressive, not exactly encouraging.
Well, here we are over half a year later, and I have some more encouraging news. Since my September post, I have lost an additional 10-12 lbs (yes, it varies on the day). I don't want to share my exact weight, because that is not the point. The point is how much extra weight I have kicked to the curb, and how much more I need to get rid of. Right now I am about 10-12 lbs away from my pre-Lorelai self.
I drink one glass of soda a week, no diet stuff (artificial sweeteners are yucky!); I limit my intake of empty snacks like crackers, pretzels, or chips to a rare event; I have started eating large amounts of plain greek yogurt; I drink a full glass of cold water every time I feel hungry, then see if I still need to eat something; I buy very few frozen items, if I do, they are usually vegetables; I buy fresh meats, fruits, and vegetables; I wear clothes and shoes that encourage me to move more; and I do light weight training and short bursts of exercise throughout the day. I am down 2 pant sizes, and have lost a total of 6 inches from my tummy, arms, and waist.

It seems small compared to "The Biggest Loser" results, but thankfully, I was not starting from where those people do. I do enjoy, and will never eliminate, chocolate from my diet. I mean, a couple peanutbutter cups in the evening will not wreck any of my success. I feel better about my food intake, and I feel better that my clothes just fit better. I actually had to by smaller jeans a couple weeks ago, and it was an awesome feeling.

I took for granted my lifestyle and body type before kids. I assumed that getting back to that point wasn't going to be that hard...I was wrong. It has forced me to really evaluate how I look at my life and how I want my kids to see me and themselves.
Eating vegetables isn't always something I like, but the more you do it, the less you think of it. Before this change, I would search for cheese-its or chips when I wanted a snack, now I grab and apple or some baby carrots. Breakfast would have been a poptart (or two) or a muffin, now I have a fiber-rich cereal or a bowl of yogurt. Now I am not talking about those sweet, fruit on the bottom yogurts, I am talking about plain greek yogurt with 6g of sugar and 22g of protein. Warning. This stuff is hard to adjust to. It is almost sour tasting...not at all what I think of when I hear yogurt. But, with a quick drizzle of honey and a handful of oats, this concoction has become a staple in my routine. Chris started with this yogurt, and I have joined in...it's been worth it. Lunch and dinners are more about portion control, but also about making something so I know what's in it, and what it will do for me...and the other people eating it as well.
I want Lorelai and Adalaide to see that eating healthy is not a chore, it's not this horrible task you force yourself to do. It's just the right thing to do. It's what you should eat...and if you never get in the habit of eating junk all the time, you will not feel like you have to sacrifice anything later.
Hard to snack on junky stuff when you don't buy it.
I'm not insane, I do buy my kids crackers for snacks. I buy them chicken nuggets, and I let them drink strawberry flavored milk occasionally. I mean, they are kids; french fries are their favorite, and that's ok. They have them a couple of times a week, and that's absolutely fine with me because the other days they eat bananas, apples, peaches, carrots, and other veggies I hide in other things. *Pureed anything in ketchup works well.* ;)

My expedition to lose baby weight has become a healthier outlook for my whole family. Mainly because I make their food most days, but also because it's important to start off life feeling good and doing good. Chris has also made some amazing progress with new eating and exercising habits. I feel this is our new normal now, and we can only get better and healthier from here. Who wants to spend their time sulking on the couch feeling gross, embarrassed, and tired all the time? Get up, make the change, and go with it. Don't be lazy.

I will not be stock footage if overweight people walking around for health stories on the news. Never, never. Here to the next half of the year, and hopefully, the last of the baby weight...until the next kid. :P


M.LEWIS

No comments:

Post a Comment