Friday, May 16, 2014

The Light at the End of the Paint Can

My mini not-so-mini project.
I thought it would be fast, easy, and inexpensive.
Well, one of those things was correct.

Here is an old picture of our little foyer. Pre-paint, pre-better accessories. Anyway, there is my project. That little light. Not a bad style, but brass...very brass. So, I could buy a new fixture, but it would cost $60 easy and the styles are hard to match what I want; Or, I could try to refinish my existing fixture for far cheaper. And, if I royally screw it up, I could just buy a new one anyway.

I bought a can of textured spray paint and primer in one for all surfaces. It's at Lowe's for less than $6.


 I dismantled the fixture from the wall. That was not easy. I did shut off the power at the breaker, but the wires, the bolts, the screws...it took some time. Probably more than it should have, but I didn't want to do anything wrong. I got it down. Then taking apart the pieces took more time. Oy. That thing was not going down easy. I got it to the point where I could work with it. It's mainly glass, so I had to cover the glass panels. Thoroughly, precisely, and with lots of more time.

About an hour from when I first started, I finally got to the paint part. 

Before prep, excuse the dust
Cutting out the contact paper panels and taping them on
Completely covered and ready for paint

 Painting it was messy and difficult. Hanging chains, a center piece that was hard to manipulate, impossible to find a way for it to dry without touching anything, slipping wires...a little bit of everything.
It's not perfect, but it turned out pretty well. The upper center parts still have a bit of brass, but I simply can't reach it. It's soldered shut and you do what you can.

Tada

It better matches everything now

Looks good to me
It took a little over 3 hours...yes, I probably handled it too soon after painting, but I needed to get done. I have wild children, dinner to make, and no patience. ;)

Now for the front outdoor light...I have a different execution plan for that one.


M.LEWIS

1 comment:

  1. My in-laws had a similar chandelier (a lot bigger, but the same kind of shape/design). Apparently it was impossible to dust, so they just replaced it. Anyway, no real point to my story, except that it looked familiar! Good work making something brand-new!

    ReplyDelete