Sunday, December 11, 2016

Finn's Arrival

The more kids I have, the more time goes by in between posts...sorry about that.

I did want to write down my experience delivering Finn before too much time went by...I have my accounts of the girls, and he needs one too. :-)

Since Mr. Finnian was measuring so big for so long, they scheduled me for induction asap. His due date was 10/23 and he was scheduled for an early arrival on 10/17.

That morning we dropped the girls off at my mom's and Chris and I went to the hospital around 7am. Pitocin, antibiotics, and extra fluids in IV's by 8am. I knew the drill and we were cruising along nicely. My Dr. checked on me around 10am and said she hoped for a "lunch baby." A few hours away? OK!

I got my epidural in around 11am (I was on the fence for half of the pregnancy about getting one...the first half...due to the failure of my epidural with Addy.) and boy, was it needed. Dilation progressed quickly after the epidural and around 12:45pm and when my Dr. came in to check on me then, I was 12cm dilated (yes, 12!) and I was in a lot of pain (even with the epidural) and I wanted this baby boy out! It seemed to take forever, squeezing Chris' hand, waiting for the Dr. and nurses to set up everything. When it was time to push, I was more than ready!

It took only 3 rounds of pushing (approx 10 mins) before I was told to stop. "Oh, he's heavy." I heard my Dr. say...but that's something I knew already. ;-)  I felt some tugging, and then, I heard the best sound in the world. The cries of my Finn filled the room. He was here! I then saw his cute, chubby face and he was placed on my chest. Gooey, swollen, and beautiful, Chris and I finally met our son.

"Let's weigh him...I want to know how heavy he is." my Dr. said after about 20 minutes of cleaning and cuddling.

9lb 7oz; 20 3/4 in, Finnian George Lewis was born at 1:08pm on 10/17/16.

Big, cuddly, sweet, and the perfect addition to our family; everyone was overjoyed to have Finn in the family...especially Lorelai and Adalaide. They are the proudest and most loving of big sisters...which makes my heart happy.

While Finn is definitely my biggest baby, with the most uncomfortable pregnancy...his delivery was the fastest. Recovery took much longer with him. It may be his size, or the fact that I have 2 kids already at home, but my body took much longer to regain strength and endurance. He doesn't sleep as long as I would like at night, but we're getting there. Breastfeeding has been a struggle (just like the girls) but he is happy and healthy with supplementing with formula...actually it's more like formula with breastmilk supplementing...that's how unefficient my body is, but oh well. Yes, I know all the tips and tricks, the herbs, the vitamins, and special tea...it's just the way it is...and I'm ok with that. My pediatrician is supportive and I have no serious worries about his growing and development. I have been blessed with 3 healthy children!

Now, to tend to the little man himself...

Welcome to the world Finn, you are where you belong for sure ♥



*Please excuse spelling and grammar errors, no time for proof-reading! ;-)


-M.LEWIS

No comments:

Post a Comment