Monday, August 15, 2011

"What's this?"

Saturday marked 2 years since Chris proposed. 2 years? Really? It is amazing how fast things have changed! We did have a little celebration, and I got to remember all the specialness (I know, not a word) of that time.

It all started with a meal at his apartment. I believe it was pasta. After dinner we decided to go out for some dessert coffee. Now it was about 6pm and I know how much Chris hates driving in rush hour traffic (because he was talking about it just days before) so I suggested we wait for a little while. He agreed at first but then seemed restless and anxious. "Let's just go." He insisted. 
So we put on shoes and left. Once we got to the store we both exited the car, I got gross muddy street water on my leg and started to wipe it off with disgust. Meanwhile Chris was at the back of the car waiting for me. Once I had wiped off all I could, I walked over to him only to find him bent down reaching for something under the car. My first thought was "Oh great, what's wrong with the car?" he then quickly revealed his hand with a "What's this?" I zoned in on this little object in his hand. Expecting to see a nail, shard of glass, or something else detrimental to the car, you can imagine my shock when I saw a beautiful, glimmering, piece of jewelry.
It hit me, he was proposing. I dropped my nice purse (in that gross street water) and just stared at him with my jaw dropped. I began giggling and he asked "Will you marry me?" Without a beat I of course said yes. He began to put the ring on...the wrong hand. With a quick correction (and a hug) the ring was on and we were engaged.
Still shocked and gazing at my hand, I picked up my purse and Chris ever so casually carried on with our plans. "Let's get some coffee." :) That's right, the first people to find out about our in engagement were the baristas at Starbucks on Custer and Eldorado. 

I still smile when I think about that moment. We visited that store again on Saturday, now married and with our baby girl. How life has changed and how we excitedly look forward to the next year and the years to follow. ♥

M.LEWIS

1 comment:

  1. What a great story! Josh actually tried to put my ring on the wrong hand too! Hahahaha, nerves! :)

    ReplyDelete