Wednesday, October 26, 2011

That Warm Fuzzy Feeling


Halloween is a few days away. It is Lorelai’s first Halloween, and I am so excited! After Halloween will be her first Thanksgiving, and then mere days after that will be her 1st birthday! Now I am not writing to gush about her birthday, instead I am writing to gush over the wonderfulness of holidays.

I know there are some people out there who don’t really pay attention to holidays. I’m not just talking about the “silly” ones like St. Patrick’s Day or Valentine’s Day; but they don’t even put a up a tree for Christmas! I think about growing up with my mom and my family and the magic that was every holiday. At Christmas we had not only one tree, but three. We had holly garland over windows and evergreen wrapped around the banisters. Small white lights twinkled behind every pine branch and every red bow. Even the outside of our house was adorned with colored lights and icicles hanging off the roof. Since we live in Texas, we rarely had snow, but that did not detract from the magic of Christmas. Not many people on our street put up lights, so our house shone like a beacon of Christmas magic. I felt a little sad for those families who did not have the trees, the lights, or the bows…the magic. What do they look forward to all year long? What makes your year special?
 It was what I loved the most, what I look forward to the whole year. Even as an adult, I had the privilege of experiencing the holidays with the same child-like wonder because I worked at a preschool. I got to see the astonishment in the kids eyes, the excitement. I loved it.  

It wasn’t just Christmas with my family that was so wonderful. We decorated for every holiday. We had green food-coloring in our milk for St. Patrick’s Day, we received chocolate hearts for Valentine’s, we saw fireworks twice on Independence Day, we carved pumpkins and went trick-or-treating every year for Halloween, our entire family gathers for Thanksgiving, and we went egg-hunting with special assigned colors for Easter. We did it all.

I am now a mom and want to give all of that to Lorelai. Obviously Christmas and Christmas Eve are my favorite. The love and warmth that surround the day, the magic and faith that are involved are what make that holiday the paramount of the year. Halloween in a close second though, the silliness and the opportunity to dress up is a great break from the everyday. This year Lorelai will dress up as a cute, girly skeleton. I will carve her jack-o-lantern this weekend too…and of course, there will be a ton of pictures documenting the fun. After all the fun come the chores of the season. In November I need to Christmas shop and birthday shop. I CANNOT wait for her first birthday party! J I also need to work on a special project. Which brings me back to Christmas:

During the month of December, my siblings and I used an advent calendar to count down the days until Santa. Our calendar wasn’t like everyone else’s. Instead of pulling out treats from a little drawer, we hung ornaments on a wooden tree that hung on the wall. It was handmade by my grandmother and we all loved it. We were assigned certain days so we all got a turn, and we even chose which ornaments we wanted to hang. They don’t sell this kind of advent calendar…I’ve looked. So, I am going to make one. I want my kids to have the same special feeling when waking up. “It’s my day!” Then followed promptly with “Now there are only __ more days until Christmas!”
So, I have to find a large piece of unfinished wood (I think I found a clever alternative), I have to make a tree in the center, then all the ornaments for the tree; All handcrafted and hand-painted. I look forward to this project. I highly anticipate the many years of enjoyment with it.
Now, I don’t want to take away from the meaning of any holiday with secular objects. I do love the meaning behind each day…but the decorations, the music, the fun; it’s what makes the season different and special. I get excited over the first official Christmas commercial I see, and I get addicted to the Christmas radio stations in November. Looking at Christmas lights this year will be extraordinary; I think Lorelai will thoroughly enjoy seeing the wonderment.

Ahhhhh, holidays. I seriously can’t wait. I hope your days are as memorable and meaningful to you all as they are to me. Thanks Mom, thanks Oma, for making the holidays so special and for making my childhood so loving and nostalgic for me. It is the absolute best thing I can pass on to my child and to my family.
Our old home (apartment) before the arrival of Lorelai...I did what I could with no fireplace :P

Our engagement Christmas Eve...being silly.

My church. No lights, just candle light from the Christ candle...singing Silent Night. Seriously the best feeling.


I will leave you with a little something that always brings a smile to my face. This pretty much encompasses my feelings for the holiday season. I still believe, I will always believe. J

“Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus. It would be as dreary as if there were no VIRGINIAS. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

M.LEWIS

No comments:

Post a Comment