Tuesday, November 6, 2012

My Politics...Of Sorts

I hate to make a political post...but yet, here I am. I promise to be quick and to the point.

Social media has made politics quite different from elections before. I know I am an adult when my friends (and myself) actually care about the election. What's hard for me though, is the rudeness that comes from this. It's not just little jabs at one side or another, it's insults attacking the very core of someone's beliefs.
I have shown little signs of who I voted for online, and I plan to keep it that way.
I don't care for my own friends' cruel words preaching their perceived superiority simply because they voted for the other candidate.
We praise the ability to speak our minds, to decide who leads this country, this process that makes America the greatest country in the world. We make it sound noble and honorable...then we log in on facebook and bully our own friends because their voice doesn't match ours. You know that saying "If you talk the talk, you got to walk the walk", well, I think you should apply it to politics. The fact that we are able to vote shows the government trusts us to be mature, knowledgeable, and responsible. That doesn't include the child-like bitterness that so many seem to express.
No election has been this close. The popular vote is almost split 50/50. Depending on where you get your information, Romney is ahead by a point or two. The electoral vote is different, and harder to predict, but Obama has the lead there. I know the electoral vote is the one that counts, it is the one that determines the next President, but I can't turn a blind eye to the fact that the country (at this point) is divided evenly. How can one declare they are "clearly" in the right, when you have the same amount of people thinking the same thing about their beliefs.
I guess my purpose of this post is this: please be respectful; please be tactful; please refrain from the urge to bash half the country...your thoughts are no better/no worse, just different. Please do not gloat if your candidate wins nor pout if your candidate loses; please remember to be mature, respectful, and gracious. This isn't a game of sport, this is the future of our country, this is our children's future...let's not have them read about this election and be ashamed of their parents' attitude and unwarranted words. We are not kids on the playground anymore, we are the voices that pave the way. Let's take this role seriously and all take the high road. I know I want the future generations to be proud of how the American people handled this election, and every election. I am doing my best to achieve this, are you?

This is as political as I'd like to be...online. ;) That is all.


M.LEWIS  

No comments:

Post a Comment