Thursday, November 8, 2012

Sicky LEL

It was 2:45 in the morning, I was stirring awake for some reason and I sighed at the time on the clock. It wasn't unusual for me to wake up in the middle of the night...especially when pregnant. A few moments after glancing at the clock I hear something no one wants to hear over the baby monitor. (Yes, my almost 2 yr old still sleeps with a baby monitor in her room.) Lorelai coughed a bit and then I hear a small gag...then...nothing.
I laid there thinking "Do I get up? Maybe she was just coughing." As I was contemplating my next move I hear her door open and her little feet shuffle across the hall into our room. This too was not unusual, but instead of letting her wake up Chris and climb into bed, I decided to be proactive and get up and go to her. I leaned over to brush the hair out of her face, my vision in the dark is quite poor, and wanted to see her as best I could to assess the reason for the suspicious sounds over the monitor.
My hand immediately recoiled once it touched her messy hair. I knew then what the sounds were all about. My little sweets had gotten sick.
This stomach bug is  quite odd and hard to predict. If you remember, Chris was sick last weekend with a stomach virus, and I thought once a day or two passed LEL and I were safe. Last night, in the early, early hours, we were working on 6 days since exposure to Chris and his illness. I was completely unprepared for it. It has to be related, but the time from exposure to the time of active illness is an unusually long amount of time. Again, Chris was not sick long, nor intensely; but of course, I rather not deal with it again. And why does the stomach bug always take over little bodies in the middle of the night? Lorelai has only gotten sick (in that way) twice, both of which were in her bed. That means everything must be stripped off and sterilized when you are half-awake and have about 3hrs of sleep in the bank. Of course, this time, LEL also had to be stripped down and placed in the bathtub. My poor girly. She was crying and just wanted to cuddle, but not until that lovely smell have been completely destroyed and her little body was as clean as it could be. It took about an hour to clean everything and get her beloved Lamby's in and out of the wash. She laid in bed watching Elmo, she was pretty much the sweetest little sicky ever.
Lights were out again around 4:15am...but little sleep was had by all. I was prepared to jump up at a moment's notice in case she got sick again and Lorelai had a terrible time sleeping due to being out of her element. Chris and Phoebe also had a tough time. LEL was taking up most of Chris' side of the bed...and the covers, and Phoebe had to share her snuggle spot with a toddler.
It has been about 7 hrs since this excursion began and she has been vomit free and fever free the whole time. This is encouraging. She had a few sips of water around 3:30am, then again at 7am, and once more at 9am. Still no food consumption, her call though.
I am praying for my little sweets to be strong and healthy. She already seems more herself. I also pray for my other girly, Adalaide. I sincerely hope I do not catch this bug for her sake. Not only would it be difficult to care for LEL while feeling so crummy, but I would be a mess wondering if the illness would be harming my little 21 week old still cookin'.

Keep healthy everyone out there! And drink some grape juice just to be safe! I know I did...can't hurt at this point ;)


M.LEWIS

1 comment:

  1. We had a similar stomach bug that laid in wait long after Anni had it to catch me nearly a week after hers started. Luckily, I was better quickly (I did use my zofran liberally to try to keep at least a little nourishment down for our little one) and while it took Anni a little longer to recover, as long we stuck to very, very basic foods (applesauce, rice, water and 7up... she refused the jello), things stayed pretty calm. Poor Daniel had to do most of the yucky clean-up after her late night sicknesses as I would have just added my own to the pile from the smell (I'm still shocked he never got it).

    ReplyDelete