Monday, November 19, 2012

Thankfulness

I do love the holidays, but they bring a level stress to any happy, festive person. Mainly: money. The budget will always take a break from its usual "buy only what you need" mentality. Don't get me wrong, we do spend money on some fun things; eating out, pretty throw pillows, or maybe just one more cute pair of shoes for Lorelai; but all in all, we are not spenders.
I am happy to buy people little gifts that show them I love them. I do love it when I give a gift that lights up someone face...but I love it even more when its joy have nothing to do with is fiscal worth. I have already started shopping. I enjoy getting it out of the way so I can really enjoy the weeks up to Christmas. Unfortunately, the bills do not wait until a better time.
It doesn't help that the shopping lists have to share $ with other adult expenses. Car insurance, medical bills, car registration, health insurance, HOA fee, utility bills, mortgage payments, and household repairs.
I will admit, I have been stressing about it. In reality, we are fine. I know this...deep down, I know this. We will not be scant, but we will be living with lower numbers in the accounts than I'd like. Nothing like an unexpectant expense to make this reality slap me in the face again.
Today, was one of those days. At the end of August, I had a sprinkler repair service come out to fix a leaky sprinkler head. While they were here, they found other issues, but we had them all fixed. Now, 3 more sprinkler heads are leaking. I called the company again and the earliest they can come out is next Tuesday. That's right, over a week out. This service will cost some more $ than I wanted, and the leaking water will show up on my water bill for sure. The stress was hitting me hard. I sent a grumpy text to Chris expressing my frustration. I then sat down and began to tally up all the money we still have to send out.
Then I saw something on my news feed. A story about the ongoing airstrikes in Israel and Gaza. I saw pictures of families carrying their dead children. A man, weeping, holding his 11 month old whose face was smeared with blood.
They had just lost their children, their world. I looked at the pictures with my eyes swelling with tears. "What if that was my child?" How horrible it must be to lose your son or daughter, especially when they are so young. You see their lifeless bodies, and they look like they are sleeping...but you know they are not. What they were on earth is now their forever state: angels. My heart goes out to each and every one over there holding their little loved ones wrapped in a burial flag.
This Thanksgiving week I am thankful for the same thing I was last year, and for all years to come: Lorelai. No matter what stresses I have in life, I have my baby girl...not to mention another one on the way. When life feels unfair or too overwhelming, I remind myself it is nothing compared to others' hardships. This also applies to the people who have lost their homes and family members in hurricane Sandy.
This Thanksgiving I have a warm house to sleep in, clean clothes for my family, a sweet girl who smiles and giggles at our puppy, a loving husband who works hard for all we need, and we are all healthy and happy. I would write 100 checks happily knowing I still have these things.
God knew what to do to put things in perspective, and I am thankful...oh, so very thankful.


M.LEWIS

No comments:

Post a Comment