Thursday, March 28, 2013

Just A Daily Recap

Today was the first day since A's arrival, where I feel like we are hitting a good routine. Of course, tomorrow I could wake up and things could be falling apart; but for now I am enjoying the controlled chaos and content baby girls.

Yesterday was definitely not one of those days. We had to wake up early and get to the pediatrician's office by 8:30am. It took some effort, but we got there...and on time. Lorelai then preceded to scream and cry at every nurse that dared to pay her any sort of attention. She followed that by melting down at the sight of the doctor. The funny thing is, she loves doctors...in theory. She knows they help people/babies feel better, she picks them out happily in their white coats; yet this always-healthy kid hates conversing with her own friendly doctor. It's not like she has had any bad experience with him/them. She has only visited for check-ups. This kid is rarely sick. It made no sense.
That's Lorelai in a nutshell though. I must say "I don't understand what you want" at least two dozen times a day.
The visit was Adalaide's 2 week check up. She is doing great. She is "perfect" so said the doctor, and I can't disagree. ;) She is 1 ounce shy of meeting her birth weight and she has already grown half an inch taller/longer. This is good news after my struggles with mastitis so early on, but I am still nursing and happy to know she is doing so well.
15 minutes later, I shuffled out of the office with a infant in her carseat and a toddler throwing a tantrum. I know they must see all sorts of fussy kids all day long, but I still felt bad that LEL was starting off their day in such a loud and obnoxious manner.
Once in the car, Lorelai was a different kid. She was smiling and kicking her legs with joy, knowing we were done.
"Bye doctor!" she happily shouted to the building as we were driving off.

That cute, little stinker.

I did leave LEL with Grandma and Aunt Hannah while I took A to the hospital to get her 2nd PKU blood work done. After the fun at the pediatrician's, I did not want to repeat it at the hospital outpatient lab. Luckily, that process did not take as long as I feared and we were done with appointments and doctors by lunch.

I was able to sneak in a mini nap in the afternoon, but I was still dead tired by 11pm. Adalaide's schedule is somewhat predictable, and I know the earliest I can get to bed is around that time. She eats (some times in 2 parts) around 10pm, then there is the diaper change...usually more than one, then swaddling and getting her to sleep. I am then up again at 1am to feed again, and every 2-3 hours after that. Such is the nightlife with a newborn. She does not cry very much at all, which does help the process.
I have been telling her since she was 20 weeks along that she needed to be my "mellow kid." Maybe she listened. Still way too early to gauge her personality...but being more mellow only seems fair- especially if you were at the doctor's office with LEL. ;)

Anyway, this morning; much better. We have only had one fit thus far and we are in a much better mood after we saw the trash truck drive around our circle, dumping all the bins on the curb.

This weekend will be a busy one, so let's hope this good mood continues to grow through the holiday!


M.LEWIS

No comments:

Post a Comment