Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Nap Time, Rashes, and Nursing...Can You Tell I'm a Mom?

Lorelai rejecting nap time, suspicious rash on Adalaide's chest, and sudden decrease in breast milk supply...this pretty much sums up my day yesterday.

Lorelai seems to have a cycle. She usually naps/sleeps really well. No fussing, no fighting; but lately she has been exhibiting the opposite of these. For no rhyme or reason, she will abruptly break from her usual pattern and be a little stinker about naptime. Yesterday was one of those days. Sunday was another one of those days. This streak usually last about a week or so and then she returns to her norm. Let's hope that comes soon.

Adalaide was also restless. This doesn't worry me, though she does have a subtle rash on her chest. I noticed it Monday night when I gave her a bath. I thought her skin might be irritated by a new shirt she was wearing, but hours after I bathed and changed her, the rash was still there. I did a fair amount of research and I believe she may have heat rash. She does like to be swaddled to sleep, and held...so perhaps her sensitive skin couldn't take her sweating a bit? I noticed her feet being damp a couple days ago, I think she may be a sweaty little thing and the extra layers are just too much for her. I am now putting her in lighter clothing and not wrapping her up as much. If the rash does not clear up, or if it spreads, worsens, or is accompanied by a fever, I will call her Dr...and here I was all excited I didn't have any appointments planned this week.
Update: her rash does seem to be fading rather swiftly. Yay! Poor baby sweets.

These two events have made my day interesting, but so has another frustrating occurrence: my breast milk supply has dropped off significantly. I keep reading different things on the internet and in books; my conclusion: it's a crapshoot. I will keep drinking ungodly amounts of water and I will keep nursing every time she is hungry, but other than that, I don't want to consume my life with trying home remedies and herbal supplements. I believe my supply will improve if I just stick to this. One of these days I am hoping I can go somewhere or start a task that doesn't have to come to an end so quickly. Nursing every 3 hours would be better than every 1.5-2...but I suppose my wants are not nearly as important as Addy's needs.

I fear this entry might sound to grumpy, so I will make sure to end on a happier note.

Lorelai's new favorite activity is to slip on some socks and go "skating" on the kitchen floor. I am not sure where she learned this, but it's pretty darn cute either way...especially when she has pigtails. ;)


M.LEWIS

1 comment: