Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Kitchen Remodel Pt. 2: The Backsplash

Ok, my latest improvement! A tile backsplash for my kitchen. One area behind my stove, the other behind the sink.

I am not a fan of tile...the process of applying it, that is, but I do like the finished look. I combined elements that both I and Christopher liked to get our final design.



I still need to grout the tile behind the sink, but I have enough done I feel good sharing my project progress. All together the project only cost me about $115. All purchased at Lowe's.  I wanted subway tiles, but I didn't want to spend $$$ on ceramic tile. I looked for vinyl subway styles, but found out quickly they don't make them. So, I decided to make my own. I found a nice "luxury tile" in the vinyl area ($2.16 for a 12x24 tile) and cut it up into 6x3 tiles, making 16 tiles out of one large tile. I needed about 6 large tiles. The steel tiles were self-adhesive in a 12x12 sheet. I needed 2 sheets. The glass/stone mosaic tiles came in a mesh square, I had to cut them up into strips, again, I needed 2. Both were $10.00 for a 12x12 square. Then there is the adhesive for the tiles, the grout, and the tools involved.

I loved I could achieve this look for around $100 and needed no power tools! :)


M.LEWIS


No comments:

Post a Comment