Saturday, August 3, 2013

Starburst Mirror

Idle hands. Must. Do. Something.

This has been a nagging voice echoing in my head lately. The question is...what do I make? What do I alter? What, what, what...
Well, I got it.

So, I wanted to spruce up our master bedroom, and make it a bit more fancy. This means altering the curtains (done), replacing the lamps (not done), moving the dressers to a better spot (done), add hardware to the dressers (not done), and create a mini seating space (enter project).

I am going to order a upholstered storage ottoman for the space, then add some colorful pillows, and add an interesting wall art piece. I decided I wanted a starburst [or sunburst] mirror. I have always liked the look, and even made an art piece of one in college...which won a spot in their art show. Anyway, so I went shopping.

Holy, moly. Why are mirrors so expensive?!
$110
$90
$223

$85
$268!
$168

Yeah. Um. No. Weird colors, odd sizes, and every price comes with shipping and handling. So, I decided to- you guessed it- make one myself. Hooray for Hobby Lobby! I bought a candle plate (aka a mirror) for $5, then two packages of wooden dowels for a total of $6. Some metallic paint, $4, and two packages of small mirror token piece things for $5. I already had a hot glue gun, so I was set.

Glue the dowels behind the mirror

Decide on a design

Paint the dowels, and glue the mirror tokens on

TADA!

Go ahead and tell me for $20, this doesn't look just as good as the $268 models. Plus, it's the color and size I want.
I love it. 
Now for the rest of my plan!


M.LEWIS

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! Yay for making something lovely for very little money ;-)

    ReplyDelete