Tuesday, September 6, 2011

DWTS = Family Values?


Has America gone crazy? Maybe I am just older? Or maybe I am a parent now…either way, I am pretty fed up. I really despise politics. You can’t imagine how much I dread the next year of this bickering. Everyone sounds like bratty 3 year olds, pointing fingers, calling names, placing blame, and they all claim to do it for “the good of the people.”

Politics aside (sort of), my main gripe for this blog comes from a jewel of modern-day television: Dancing with the Stars. First off, I hate the show. I saw a commercial for it years ago and I thought “That will never last.” Sadly, I was wrong. (One of the few times;) )
Apparently it is an American favorite. Apparently it is a family show? I don’t know what kid would be interested in it for more than 30 seconds…I can’t even stand it for much longer than that. Regardless, a new season is starting up and they announced the new cast; a pretty controversial one at that. People usually gossip and talk about the group of people they announce but this year it’s different. A particular group of people have taken aim on one individual: Chaz Bono.
In case you live under a rock, Chaz Bono was born Chasity Bono (daughter of Sonny and Cher) and went through transgender surgery to become a man recently. While Chaz does not have all the male parts, nor will he ever have the male chromosomes; but if you were to pass him on the street you would not think twice. He looks like a man, sounds like a man, dresses like a man…you wouldn’t think anything about him….or so you’d think. Certain “mom” groups have come out boycotting Chaz and DWTS for casting him. They claim he should not compete on this “family show” for he is sending out the “wrong” message to their children.

…What message is that? That he is a human being who is allowed to dance?

Sheesh. Sure, you ignore the fact that over the past years the women on the show wear barely-there outfits made out of see-through fabrics and strategically placed sequins. You don’t care that the men have gone shirtless, pantless, or somewhere in between. The contestants have shimmied parts of their bodies you would assume would be against family values; they have used songs with questionable lyrics…but no one peeped. Now suddenly we are all concerned about our kids and what they are exposed to?

What is so damaging about Chaz? Why can’t you explain to your kids who he is and what is story means? Any kid old enough to ask questions about the term “transgender” should be given the truth, right? Whether or not you condone it, it exists, and your kids should hear the facts from their parents. We live is a world where it is becoming more and more likely they will meet someone like Chaz, or Carson Kressley. Who? Oh yeah, there is a gay man on the show this year too. Haven’t heard anything about that, huh? He was on “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.” Yeah, he is out and proud…you would be able to tell that from talking to him for 30secs. Why hasn’t he gotten any crap from anyone?  I’m sure he’s next.
I can’t speak for every mother but I plan to be honest and straight-forward with my kids. I plan to answer my kids’ questions as honestly as I can (considering whatever age they are). I don’t want my kids to hear rumors and false information from other kids or sources. It is my job to fill them with life’s facts. Why are we trying to hide things from them? Why are we suggesting people like Chaz should be pushed into the shadows and barely whispered about? They are people too. They deserve the same opportunities, the same respect, and the same freedoms as everyone else. That goes for everyone in the LGBT communities.

I know a lot of people who are uncomfortable about the “gay lifestyle” and all the other people who are not “mainstream” and this saddens me. I have known quite a few people who are gay and they are wonderful people. They are kind, giving, compassionate, and courageous. They would do anything for anyone…and let’s face it; they wouldn’t be given the same. I feel I need to bite my tongue about my views some times to keep the peace, but now I have Lorelai…and I feel the responsibility to show her to stand up for what you think and what you feel. I feel that all people deserve the same inalienable rights. I feel that no one can say what another person should receive based on religious or personal beliefs. I feel that you should have your own opinion, but should not shove it down people’s throats…especially when your views are closed-minded and hurtful. What happened to liberty and justice for all

Before anyone thinks I am on some “liberal rant,” let me say I am not a democrat; Nor am I a republican My views do not fit nicely into one column. I am a registered independent…and couldn’t be anything else. I just think it is crazy that people are trying to twist their views into the mold of such a show. This is not a beacon of family morality, it never was. Keep that in mind when the women come out in their "outfits" and dance their routine of shakes and shimmies...try to think "family values?"

Dance away Chaz, I am one mom who supports your right to dance just like everyone else. Who would have thought one silly tv show would cause so much controversy? Come on people, RELAX! It’s Dancing with the Stars! *sigh*

Ok...I feel better now. :P

M.LEWIS

1 comment:

  1. I agree 100%. Chaz Bono is a person just like anyone else. Coming to the realization that you are a man trapped in a woman's body must be incredibly difficult and going through a transgender transformation is unbelievably brave. If anything, Chaz should be showing our kids the importance of being ourselves and not hiding from what we really are. Unfortunately, DWS is absolute trash and I can't imagine that the people who watch what's her name from the hills shake her anorexic tooshie in an outfit two sizes too small are very open-minded. Lorelai is lucky that you are open-minded and will answer any question she has and that she doesn't have to rely on crappy "reality" TV to guide her through life.

    ReplyDelete