Monday, February 13, 2012

My Funny Little Wall

In the house, I have one wall area that was always tricky.

This picture is a little old, but it is the only "before" picture I have with this particular space in frame.

You see that DVD shelf under the light switch on the right side of the picture? Yep, that's the wall. It is about 3 1/2 feet wide on an angle leading towards the master bedroom/nursery wing of the house. I moved the DVD shelf ages ago because the little one learned how to crawl in this house and she soon found out dumping out dozens of plastic cases was oh-so-fun.

I did have a toy area there for awhile but it was the first thing you saw down the hall when you entered, and I never liked that. It was also a little annoying stepping on toys when you go to the bedrooms and back. I have since moved her toys and had a blank wall with an awkward empty space.

Available at Target
What to do? I took to the DIY/crafty mom bible, pinterest, hoping to find inspiration. Not much luck. So after staring at the space day in and day out I finally decided to get a console table (aka sofa table) to place against the wall. There were outlets near and I could easily throw a plant and a lamp on top and it could be a good place to charge phones/kindle.  Here is the issue with this piece of furniture: too deep and not tall enough. Basically it would look squatty and awkward there...and I envisioned catching the corner of the table every time I walked by it.

So, the table idea was out. :( I wanted something open and light there...nothing that seemed clunky and heavy...but I had a hard time finding any kind of table that fit my needed dimensions.

I finally decided to think outside the table box and I figured a bookshelf would be much narrower and not as long. I still wasn't crazy about the heavy, boxy look of a bookshelf, but hey, sometimes you have to give up some part of your vision in order for the majority of your wish list to work.

Poor quality from camera phone :\
So that's what I ended up getting. A bookshelf, a nice one...on sale too! :)

I went back to the store to buy a lamp and the large basket to help fill it up, but everything else was just laying around the house in some fashion.
I did have to help the lamp out a bit and give it a boost with some books to achieve the height I wanted (lamp sizes are limited) but overall I think I created the gist of my angle-wall-vision. I do want to get something subtle for the wall above...that light switch messes up my decorator instincts.

We do charge our phones there (giving me more counter space in the kitchen) and Phoebe's sweaters are stored in the smaller basket while her collection of toys sit in the large one below.


Just another improvement to our house, our home. :)

M.LEWIS

No comments:

Post a Comment