Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Escape Artist

About 2 weeks ago I took the crib rail down off Lorelai's bed and put on a small toddler bed rail. It is a small transition, but necessary one. It is my goal to get her accustomed to the bed rail and the idea of a "big bed" so when it is time for our vacation next month, she will sleep easier in the hotel beds.

This isn't her bed, but it is very close to what her sleep arrangement looks like now days
 Her rail is longer than the picture, so it is harder for her to climb out. It has been working great...notice the past-tense. Lately, Lorelai has decided she doesn't need naps. She does this every so often. For a week or two naps are a rare scene; then, out of no where, she'll nap for 2 hrs every afternoon for a month or two...then we start the pattern all over again. She also does this game with food, but anyway...
Today she did not fall asleep in the car like she usually does, and I knew I was in trouble.
I walked her in her room, put her in her crib, turned on her nap cd, closed the door, and walked away. She was quiet, and I naively thought "Alright. She's out, time to get some things done."

Ha.Ha.Ha.

About 10 minutes later I hear some scratching on the inside of her door...like a dog; but our dog was snoozing on the couch. I pushed open the door to peak in...and there was Lorelai. Just standing there with her "Lamby" and bunny. She smiled her "paci-smile" and was all prepared to walk out.
Now, I have never seen her actually leave her bed before. I was actually a little impressed...but not happy.

"No. Get back in your bed. It's naptime." I directed.

She didn't move, so I picked her up and put her back in her bed. I turned on her cd again and left. She fussed for a bit, but then it got quiet again. "Ok, she got her taste of freedom, but she surrendered and she will sleep now" I thought. Psshhh...silly me.
10 minutes later, as I sit down after starting some laundry, her door whips open and I see a little girl standing in the doorway. Lamby, bunny, paci...just standing there, seeing what my next move would be.

"No Lorelai. Naptime. Bed now."

I pick her up again and place her in her crib. I rearranged her pillow, blanket, and stuffed animals to block the small area she could escape from, and I leave once more.

Now I am not so optimistic. "I give her 15 minutes tops" I tell myself.

5 minutes later, the door whips open again. But this time Lorelai is not hesitant in the slightest. She comes shooting out the door, Lamby in hand, paci in mouth, and waves. "Hi" she mumbles from behind the pacifier as she practically sprints down the hall.

It was cute. I was a little annoyed, but then she tripped, hitting her head on the ottoman in the familyroom.

"Uh oh" she said looking up at me.

"That's not the only reason you should be saying 'uh oh'" I told her.

She giggled, picked herself up, and went on to her toys. I then realized the noise from her bedroom was not her lullaby cd, but the radio. She actually got up and played with her stereo before she boldly announced her arrival.

Got to love kids, huh?
I hope naptime returns soon though. *crosses fingers*


M.LEWIS  

No comments:

Post a Comment