Tuesday, May 22, 2012

"The Purple Room"

If you remember, our house was an interesting mix of colors back when we bought it almost a year ago. Now the pictures don't do the array of colors justice, but you get the idea...

Our master bedroom was "electric baby blue"
The "dark olive" color made this room the study

The livingroom/diningroom was oddly untouched with paint
The familyroom was also absent of color

...as well as the kitchen and breakfast nook
And then there was "the purple room"...a bright purple room.
I guess what always stumped me was the contrast from the bedrooms to the living areas. Bedrooms were so in-your-face with paint while the rest of the house was so blah and boring. So, I have been painting over the last year...

New master bedroom...since the picture we also have curtains

New livingroom/diningroom...now with chandelier, curtains, and new table 

New kitchen



New familyroom...a little messy



New breakfast nook

















I have even painted the pantry, Lorelai's room; I am now working on our master bathroom and yes, "the purple room." The purple room will definitely take some time. The color is very strong and normal paint does not cover it. So, it is a multiple-step process; first starting with straight primer.

Day 1 of priming was cut short due to Lorelai's very short nap.



Day 2 and we have 1 wall done.









I should mention both "the purple room" and the study have only 2 walls painted. You can tell in "the purple room" it was once all painted, for behind the beige paint on 2 of the walls you can see subtle purple paint showing in blotchy, patchy spots. So good news, I only have to prime 2 walls instead of 4, but I do think I will order paint with a primer mixed in so all 4 walls will be even and flawless. No trace of this "Barney" purple, please. When we paint the study  I think I will need twice the coats of primer and paint...that is one dark color!
So, anyway, this is my progress. Hopefully by the end of the month I will be completely done priming and painting "the purple room" and we can move on and refer to it as something else. Probably "the guest room" until Lorelai moves into it later. Then I have to focus on our master bathroom again. This interruption was mainly due to Chris inheriting a double bed from his Nana, and us needing to set up a room for it. Let's see if I can get the painting done before the bed actually arrives!  


M.LEWIS

No comments:

Post a Comment