Sunday, July 8, 2012

Old is New...With Some Work

Ok, I will start off by saying, this project tired me out. It was probably the fact I had to do 70% of the work in the disgustingly hot garage, but there were definitely other aspects that added to my frustration. Though, I can say now, as I sit in the house with the AC going, it was worth it.

So my "guest room":

  Sage walls, light bedding, and white headboard and curtains. It is a calming room, and it needed furniture that matched that. Currently, we have a nightstand (pictured) and a dresser that belonged to Chris from years ago. The nightstand was black with large wood knobs; it was also dented and scratched up. The dresser was faux wood with dark brass-like handles; it also was a bit scratched up. They did not go, so, I had to changed them.

Dresser Before
Nightstand before


















I hand-painted them both with primer. I filled in the holes on the bottom half of the nightstand and all the dents with wood filler, sanded them, and primed again. (I filled in the holes because I decided I wanted handles instead of knobs to better match the dresser.)

I then moved the furniture to the garage to spray painted them white to match the room. I bought 2 cans, but apparently needed 3. So, at 9am this morning, I went for some more paint...even then I probably needed a total of 4, but oh well. I also looked at their hardware. I wanted both pieces to have matching hardware so they looked more like a set. The dresser had previously had handles, 4in handles, but guess what? They don't stock 4in handles. Anywhere. So...do I special order handles or install a new size? I'll decide that in a minute....

I go back to Lowe's after I have lunch with my family and pick up some groceries. I stood in the hardware aisle for a bit...I am not special ordering anything. I have furniture spread across my garage and I want this to end today. So, I buy larger handles. I go home, measuring and level the new holes and drill them. The dresser worked fine. The nightstand, not so much. The bottom drawer is one large drawer that just looks like 2 drawers, it's fine, but it's off the track and I could not for the life of me get it out to fix it. So, sorry guests and future Lorelai, the bottom drawer is a little wonky. Deal with it. The bottom drawer also had a random, non-structural piece of wood glued and screwed in on one side of the drawer. Why? I have to drill a hole there! My new matching handles are quite a pain in the booteh. I grab a flathead and a hammer and knock most of it out, but not all of it. I then go in search for a longer screw to reach the handle through the extra chunky space. I find one. Some of the holes did not drill through straight, or aligned exactly, but I get all the handles installed. I then fill the previous handle-holes in the dresser with more wood filler, sand, and paint them. I used just white wall paint, but that's what I had, and it worked fine.

Now, they are not as smooth as I envisioned them (thanks garage dust) but they are done, they match the room, and I am tired...but accomplished. ;)

Dresser After
Nightstand After



















After 3 cans of paint and 12 pieces of hardware, we have new-looking, and matching furniture. All under $50...in case you were wondering.

M.LEWIS

No comments:

Post a Comment