Thursday, July 14, 2011

One of Those People

I have been trying to transition Lorelai from taking naps in her swing to taking naps in her crib. I would say about 85% of the time Lorelai does pretty well. I turn on her CD player that has her beloved lullaby Queen music and plop her her down in the crib. She has about half a dozen soft toys and snuggle items in there with her along with a mobile decorated with birds and flowers.
Now I can't just put her down and walk away, usually I have to go through the steps of my naptime "routine."
This involves closing the blinds, placing her favorite stuffed lamb by her face, plugging in a pacifier, and then the most ridiculous of steps:
I can't just walk out of the room. If she sees me leave, she screams; so I have to drop down to the floor like I am picking up something...and then I just don't get back up. I wait for a few seconds to see if I prematurely exited her eye sight. If there are no cries I then start to maneuver to the door like one of those plastic army soldiers. Once I get to the door I rise to my knees and quickly scoot out into the hall. After I leave the room without cries or screams I am usually in the clear.
Today I worked my routine and then proceeded to get dressed. I checked on her about 10mins later expecting to seeing a slumbering baby girl, instead I saw her sitting up in her crib quietly playing with her toys. The music was still playing with its light, cute little melody and it provided a sweet little soundtrack to LEL's playtime. It was so heartwarming. I backed out slowly so I wouldn't disturb her...after all, it is not often Lorelai entertains herself so easily.
She is getting so big! At 7 1/2 months she has developed so much! I look at newborn pictures of Ava and think "That wasn't so long along" but in reality, Lorelai stopped being a newborn at 2 months. She hated being held like a baby, she wanted to face upwards and outwards. She even quit nursing at 3 months and rather have a bottle instead. Now, she is a pro in her walker, rolling around like nobody's business and she is practically crawling and pulling herself up on anything she can grab.
She is still very much a baby but I look at her newborn pictures and then look at her now waving, clapping, and trying to say "hi" to everyone and I think...I am one of those people now. One of those people who look at little babies and say:

"They grow up so fast, don't they?"

As LEL continues to grow I know I will feel this more and more...and that's when I will being talking to Chris about having another baby, haha. That is still at least a year away, don't anyone think I am trying to make any sort of announcement here!!! I just wanted to reflect back on my little girl's little journey...and the path that lay in front of her. I love my Lorelai ♥


M LEWIS

1 comment:

  1. love this. I am cracking up at your routine (from the bottom of my heart)!! -and can just picture myself doing the same exact thing hahahaha... the things you'll do to put a baby down peacefully! :)

    ReplyDelete