Sunday, May 5, 2013

Marigolds, Seeds, and the Death of Impatiens

This is yet another tale of my saga to formulate a green thumb. 

My impatiens that were supposed to love the shade decided to die a slow and pathetic death  by my shady front door. I still don't know why.
My new idea was to put the potted plants on the deck in the backyard. I needed something that required full or partial sun, and that was hardy enough to resist my accidental propensity to kill anything in dirt.
I found out there are some plants that naturally repel mosquitoes. I was instantly intrigued, seeing as mosquitoes down here are a long-lasting problem during the summer...actually, I already have half a dozen bites on my legs. Oy. Anyway, the plants include:
  • Mint
  • Rosemary
  • Lemongrass
  • Marigolds
  • Catnip
I already have some marigolds in my built-in flower beds, so my goal was to get a few more along with rosemary and lemongrass.
Lemongrass, I found out, is slated for a different climate zone, so that is a no-go; and rosemary wasn't available outside of a packet of seeds.
So, I bought the marigolds along with some complimentary flowers for accent. Then I decided to get rosemary and mint in seed form and start a itty-bitty herb garden in my kitchen. My prediction is they will be dead (if they grow at all) before I can transplant them outside successfully. I hope I am wrong about that; though, I feel this will all be moot either way.

Newly added marigold and company

The seeded pots
 Though I keep attempting to be a gardener of such, I do not enjoy it. Of course, I like a well-manicured lawn; trimmed bushes, cut grass, and a nice mounding display of brightly colored flowers...I "garden" to achieve this look. I just wish this scene was easier to achieve.  The "shooing away" of obnoxious, blood-sucking bugs are certainly a bonus as well.

My last adventure in small-scale horticulture? We'll see.


M.LEWIS

No comments:

Post a Comment