Tuesday, January 24, 2012

And The Nominees Are...

It is another fun time of the year for me: Oscar season!

I know many people do not care about the Academy Awards or think that the whole award-scene is rigged, but I have always enjoyed them. I love movies and have wanted to be apart of them for quite some time now. Not really in front of the camera (though I wouldn't turn it down) but more so behind the scenes. My main interest and passion is with screenwriting. Characters, plot, and dialogue is the skeleton of a movie. Sure, the director is a big part of it and of course the actors that bring the words on the paper to life, but it all starts with the script.


I love a good movie with quotable dialogue...especially "one-liners."


"Joe Nast: The truth is hard. Sometimes it looks so wrong, y'know. The color's off, the style's wrong, but I guess... I guess it's where the good ones live." -Moonlight Mile


"Lester Bangs: They make you feel cool. And hey. I met you. You are not cool."  -Almost Famous


"Sean: People call those imperfections, but no, that's the good stuff."  -Good Will Hunting


"Mark Zuckerberg: You know, you really don't need a forensics team to get to the bottom of this. If you guys were the inventors of Facebook, you'd have invented Facebook."  -The Social Network


"Marilyn Lovell: No, Henry! Those people don't put one piece of equipment on my lawn. If they have a problem with that, they can take it up with my husband. He'll be home...on Friday!"  -Apollo 13


"Claire Colburn: Trust me. Everybody is less mysterious than they think they are."  -Elizabethtown


Anyway, before I get too off-subject here, I will now provide you with a list of this year's hopefully nominees:



BEST PICTURE
The Artist
The Descendants
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
The Help
Hugo
Midnight in Paris
Moneyball
The Tree of Life
War Horse


Actor in a Leading Role
Demián Bichir - A Better Life
George Clooney - The Descendants
Jean Dujardin - The Artist
Gary Oldman - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Brad Pitt - Moneyball


Actor in a Supporting Role
Kenneth Branagh - My Week with Marilyn
Jonah Hill - Moneyball
Nick Nolte - Warrior
Christopher Plummer - Beginners
Max von Sydow - Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close


Actress in a Leading Role
Glenn Close - Albert Nobbs
Viola Davis - The Help
Rooney Mara - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Meryl Streep - The Iron Lady
Michelle Williams - My Week with Marilyn


Actress in a Supporting Role
Bérénice Bejo - The Artist
Jessica Chastain - The Help
Melissa McCarthy - Bridesmaids
Janet McTeer - Albert Nobbs
Octavia Spencer - The Help


Animated Feature Film
A Cat in Paris
Chico & Rita
Kung Fu Pa nda 2
Puss in Boots
Rango


DIRECTING
The Artist - Michel Hazanavicius
The Descendants - Alexander Payne
Hugo - Martin Scorsese
Midnight in Paris - Woody Allen
The Tree of Life - Terrence Malick






You can get the FULL list here
Now I have (unfortunately) not seen most of these films...having a baby noticeably changes your weekend plans. I do plan to make predictions based on different reviews, and my own personal opinions from past experiences. Notice I say "predictions." Who I want to win and who will most likely win are two different things. ;)




And to top it all off, one of my favorite hosts is back this year: Billy Crystal. *cheers*


Happy Oscar Nomination Day to all my fellow movie-lovers!












M.LEWIS  


1 comment:

  1. Oscar season is my favorite time of the year!! It's like the Super Bowl for writers (and probably actors too! lol). I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete