Monday, January 9, 2012

[Day] Dream Bathroom

I really love decorating. I have enjoyed going through my house and updating its blank-canvas-feel to something classy, fresh, and me.

Slightly old picture, I now have white curtains on the windows
My upcoming project that I am so anxious to dive into is our master bathroom. It is so plain. White walls, white tile, original light fixture, original vinyl floor...you get the idea. Our master bedroom is probably my favorite room in our house. I feel so relaxed and comfortable in it, and yet, modestly modern and fresh. That is the feeling I want to carry on into the bathroom. In the apartment we had more updated faucets, lights, cabinets, floors, etc. It did need much to feel "complete." I picked out generic colored towels (gray and black) with match rugs and a black/white shower curtain. Now...I don't know about those. I really want that fresh, clean feeling; and black doesn't invoke that feeling. But first, I have to pick out a paint color. I think that has to be job #1.
Here is the color I was really taken with (online) I need to go and get some samples to decide.
I think it is a neutral color. It is gray, but a blue-gray. It flows with the bedroom, but it is its own area too. I can keep my gray towels if I choose, or I can get another color...I think white would be an amazing contrast to this color, so I can match my white tile with white towels (and I want to paint our cabinets white too).

I also want to rip out the "eh" floor and replace it with a new, modern, self-adhesive tiles. Economical, easy-to-install, and durable.  I really like the look of the "slate" tiles. Something like this is a good mix of modern and classic. This is something we could do ourselves (which I am ALL for!) and it would only take a day...assuming nothing goes wrong. :P









In a previous post, I mentioned replacing the faucets...and we will, asap. The originals are cheap, awkwardly installed, and are out of date. I would LOVE to replace them with something very similar to this. Again, something not too expensive, easily accessible, and simple to clean. This brushed silver is much preferred over the shiny silver in my opinion and I can find matching hardware for the cabinets and towel racks if wanted...of course this probably means replacing the shower faucet too...and that scares me for some reason. *shrugs*






I then want to take down the one large mirror and replace it with two smaller, framed mirrors. One over each sink. This, I think, will define more of the "his and hers" vanities and will create a larger feel in the not-so-large room.









I want to install 2 or 3 of these small, glass shelves in between the 2 mirrors. We have very little storage space in the bathroom, so this will add a place for "pretty" objects to sit and it will blend in with the mirrors so I will not take away from the open feeling I previously mentioned.











Also in the shelving department I would love to add even more storage with an over-the-toilet cabinet. I really like this one:














And to top off the whole look, a new light. Again, brushed silver, and classy. We have one whole in the wall for a light, and I am not too keen on making more. So I think one light that stretches over the 2 sinks would look kind of cool. I think it would need to be more like 6 lights than 4, but you get the idea.











As you can see, there is a lot of work and money that I would like to pour into redoing the master bath, but I think once it's done, it will add a lot of value to the house and it will make me so happy! I will keep you all posted of my progress. Beware, it will be slow! I love having projects to think about and plan out. :)

M.LEWIS

2 comments:

  1. We're still in an apartment. I can't wait until we have a house so I can go crazy decorating. Now I just need like, a bazillion dollars. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it! I have to pace myself for my own piece of mind...but it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete