Friday, January 20, 2012

What Ever Happened to Accountability?

I have a bone to pick with America.

While I have an array of topics to choose from at this moment, this bone is concerning the "controversy" over Paula Deen. If you haven't heard the bickering news, Ms. Deen has recently shared with the country that she has type 2 diabetes. I don't know about you, but my first thought over this news was "That's not surprising."
The woman is known for her recipes that involve large amounts of butter, oil, heavy cream, and sugar. Now this "good southern cooking" has never been known to be healthy by any stretch of the imagination. I mean, you hear a menu of "chicken fried steak, loaded mashed potatoes, pecan pie, and sweet tea" you think: "Holy cow!" That kind of eating should probably never happen, but if it does happen, it should be called "Thanksgiving."
It should be clear to everyone that if you eat this way on a regular basis, you will have some serious health issues. Some of which might be: high blood pressure, clogged arteries, heart disease, obesity, and yes, diabetes (II).

Why is this so shocking? Why does America feel duped? And more importantly, why does America feel like helpless, defenseless victims?

Hey guys, here is a little secret: You are, in fact, perfect capable of using your brains. You can think for longer than 3 seconds. You can make decisions. You do not need the marketing and advertising agencies of the world to tell you what to eat, what to buy...how to live your life.
Just because Paula Deen provided the recipes, doesn't mean you are forced to make them and consume them. Why are so many people furious at Ms. Deen? I can't speak for everyone, but I do not feel entitled to know of any medical and health issue going on with absolutely anyone (outside my immediate family).

"How dare you trick us with your delicious, calorie engorged food and not inform of us of any of your personal health repercussions!?"

...Do you now feel guilty of eating the foods in the first place? Are you forced to face the reality of "you-can't-eat-everything-you-see?" What about if she didn't have diabetes? Would you still load up on the butter without a second thought?

This is the same reason why I hated "Super-Size Me." And why I hate all the new restrictions companies now have to enforce. Take some responsibility people!

Our country's obesity issue is not due to McDonald's, Cute cartoon characters on cereal boxes, or even Paula Deen. The issue stems from our lack of self control and our inability of accountability.

I went to McDonald's several weeks ago and split a happy meal with Lorelai. I was shocked by the barely-there portion of fries.
This is not an exaggeration. This is the actual size of fries kids now receive in their happy meals.
I grew up having a happy meal maybe twice a month. I had a bigger portion of golden goodness and apple slices were years away from being added to the menu.

Guess what! I was not an obese kid, nor am I an obese adult!

The key is not giving people these predetermined amount of food; it's teaching them self-control and, more importantly, it's teaching them to accept the word "no."

Just like in Super-Size Me, the film-maker blamed McDonald's for his weight gain and health issues after embarking on his insane experiment. He made himself eat at the fast food chain 3 meals a day (who does that?) AND he had to say "yes" if they asked him if he wanted to "super-size" it.
WTH?
You have to say yes? You are forced to eat more? Please. How about thinking logically for a minute and remember you are not a puppet designed to follow any little suggestion someone may throw at you?

I heard rumors they may start charging for the toys in the happy meal because kids are being "hypnotized" by the toys and their parents are unable to set any sort of ground rules. You are the parent. If you want them to eat healthy, DON'T TAKE THEM TO MCDONALD'S! If you are the average parent, take them every few weeks, let them enjoy a little burger and fries. Moderation people!

Just because there is a cute dog on the box of "Cookie Crisp" doesn't mean you have automatically buy it for your 5 year-old shouting "pleeeeease!" in the aisle. You can say what my mom used to say (and what more moms need to say): "No. We do not eat cookies for breakfast." And she was right. Even of your child has Guinness World Record fit in the middle of the grocery store, you can say "no."

Sorry Paula Deen that people are hounding you about your health problems. I know when I heard, all I wanted to do is yell at you and blame you for every extra pound on my body. *psh*

Stop passing the buck America. You are responsible for some things in your life.

Ok...bone picked. Thanks. ;)

M.LEWIS

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how I missed this bog but I LOVE IT!! I have the EXACT same opinion of "Super-size me"! I love Morgan Spurlock and his documentaries, but that one was insane. What did he think would happen?? He KNEW he'd get fat and get sick. His doctors warned him against the project and his vegan wife was (rightfully) disgusted with him. The only think that surprised me about the whole Paula Deen fiasco was that anyone was surprised. Her food is disgustingly high in calories, butter and high fructose corn syrup. People have little to know idea about portion control or, like you said, self-control period. We usually let the kids have McDonald's once a month, but Josh and I decided to make 2012 the year of No McDonalds just to see if the kids would even notice. It's only been two months, but so far they haven't, which further proves your point that just because a kid is screaming for it doesn't mean you have to give in. Also, fast food and obesity aren't necessarily mutually exclusive if you lead an active lifestyle instead of just camping out in front of the TV all day watching Paula Deen and feeling duped by her! ;) EXCELLENT bone to pick, my friend!! :)

    ReplyDelete