Wednesday, March 28, 2012

10% Seamstress

As I mentioned on fb, I recently altered my LEL's Easter dress this afternoon. It was insanely easy, so please, no one be impressed!
Just like how I am an "add-to-it" chef, I am also a "10% seamstress." Basically, I try to find the best deal on clothes in store, then I come home and alter them only slightly to fit my needs more.
Lorelai's Easter dress was purchased at half price looking like this:

Cute, simple, comfortable, and affordable...pretty much all the "musts" on my check off list.
As cute as it is, is was a little big and a little lacking in the pizazz department.
So I decided to hem from the straps (I did not want to mess with the sweet little ruffles on the bottom).
I also purchased some purple flower buttons to place over the hem line to help hide the alteration.
Hobby Lobby was all I needed.
A spool of thread and 2 buttons, complete with a 40% off coupon at checkout, and I was out the door.





It seriously took 5 mins and it made such a difference.

It all cost me under $20. I figure by the time I buy the chiffon, the satin, the ribbon, the thread, the buttons, and oh yeah, a similar dress pattern, I would easily spend that much and more...not to mention time, effort, and the probable fact I might royally screw up at least once.

I don't even have a sewing machine.

So anyway, I think my "10% seamstress" plan works pretty well for me right now. Who knows, maybe as time goes on that percentage will increase. 
More pictures of my sweets in her dress after Easter!

M.LEWIS

No comments:

Post a Comment