Sunday, March 11, 2012

What's NOT Cookin', Good Lookin'?

I have noticed something about myself.
I am so "eh" when it comes to food, recipes, and cooking. Maybe it's because my husband is so restricting with what he'll eat, but I also think that it's because I just don't care.
At the end of the day, I'm tired, I want something simple, fast, yummy, and requires little clean up. I used to think that this mindset started when Lorelai was old enough to realize that I wasn't right by her side, therefore, she would cry during the entire cooking process...but no. I remember being newlyweds and coming home from working around 6:30pm, and the last thing I wanted to do was spend half an hour cooking and then another 20 mins cleaning the pots, pans, place settings, and cooking utensils.
Don't misunderstand my simple dinners for unhealthy, I mean, we all have those days, but for the most part I try to cover all the main food groups. Especially with Lorelai eating a lot more "table food" I make sure I have fruits, vegetables, meats, and grains all at her disposal. Now, her eating these things is a different story, but they are there.
I try to get more frozen fruits and vegetables since my toddler takes her time adapting to new tastes, and frankly, I am tired of being responsible for finishing off what she doesn't want; or throwing it away because it's starting to grow new things.
I also get "hearty" produce that can sit in the refrigerator for a few days without getting gooey or moldy. With this I take an "add to it" mindset for cooking.
Example: I buy canned marinara sauce, but I separately buy tomatoes, onion, and garlic...I chop and cook those things and then add the sauce. That way I know I am getting fresh food in me, but in an acceptable fashion for my picky eaters. Adding spinach, green pepper, red pepper, basil, green onion, or potatoes to other dishes have also shown to be successful.
I suppose I am more worried about veggie intake than fruit. Fruit is easier, bananas, sliced frozen strawberries, dried mango, apple chips, all these things are fun snacks without having to mask them.

So sorry all who post recipes, I won't be commenting on those entries; not because I am cranky or think the food sound unappealing, but because I know my menus will not be including such "fancy" items. ;) A part of me wishes I was more chef-like, but I am okay with my simpler techniques.

Now baking...baking is a different story. Cakes, cookies, brownies, muffins...I am game for those recipes any day. :P

M.LEWIS

No comments:

Post a Comment