Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Life's Messy Parts

Things are up in the air around here lately.
1 week ago I received a phone call from my MIL telling me to call my FIL immediately. I knew her tone of voice was of some concern, but I didn't know what the situation was exactly. My mind went through all the negatives and all the people we knew. I called and found out Chris' grandmother had suffered a stroke and was in the ICU. I was told not to bother Chris with this news while he was working, but I knew he would want to know. I informed him and several hours later we left LEL with my mom and we drove down to Dallas to visit his Nana.
I have been with Chris for about 4 years. I met Nana at Kaboom Town in Addison in 2008. She was dressed for the occasion from head-to-toe. She was energetic and witty; happy to meet me, and just happy in general. As the years went by we all noticed her slow decline. It was hard at times, but such is life I suppose. The news of the stroke wasn't a shock, but we were not overly prepared for it either.
As I said, that was a week ago. Today Chris and I stand a little confused on the ongoing medical saga with Nana. She has been in a coma in the ICU since last Tuesday. She is on a ventilator, she has a feeding tube, and we all take turns spending some time with her. She has been running a fever, but I think that has gone down now. She is swollen from fluid build up, and she has a stint in her head draining fluid from her spinal cord. None of this sounds promising, and yet, she has these little moments that spark glimmers of hope.
I can't help but think about my grandparents, and what it will be like when they leave us. I know it will be so difficult. I know I will think about every little memory I have with them...and I will never be ready. I keep this in mind when I support my husband. Even though I never knew his Nana very well, I can imagine the messy confusion of emotions he is trying to sort out.
I will try to give little updates on her condition, but for now please think peaceful thoughts for Mrs. H.G. Westerman. :)

Chris' grandmother and cousin, Evan

M.LEWIS

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! I'm so sorry to read this Megan. I'll be thinking of you guys, and I hope she's able to make a turn around.

    ReplyDelete