Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Patriotism is Racism?

I heard a story on the news today that hit a nerve. The full article is here, but here is the gist: Two highschool basketball teams in San Antonio, TX were playing against one another. One team is predominantly white and the other is predominantly hispanic. When the "white" team won the game, some of the kids were shouting "U-S-A, U-S-A!" The "hispanic" team found this to be "racist" and has asked for an apology.

I was kind of speechless...for a few seconds.

Seriously? Chanting out "U-S-A" is considered racism? Ummm...THIS IS AMERICA! When did is become shameful to cheer for America? Even if your origins are from other countries, why is that considered disrespectful and racist? Both teams are from San Antonio! That's Texas...as in Texas, USA! They did not chant anything negative nor did they single anyone out...BOTH TEAMS ARE AMERICANS!

Ugh! I hate how everyone lately is trying to be so politically correct that we exclude our own heritage, our own history, our own holidays! You know how schools have outlawed the usage of "Christmas"? Well, it doesn't stop there. Here is another story about kids who were kicked out of school for a day because they wore a shirt with an American flag on Cinco de Mayo. My mind was blown when I heard this. Apparently we are only allowed to be proud Americans when it isn't crazily offending somebody else. I bet those kids just rolled out of bed and threw on a shirt, they weren't trying to make a political statement...even if they were, what was it? "Here is a flag of the country we all live in?" Why would anyone be offended by the presence of an American flag or hearing the shouts of "U-S-A?"

What baffles me is the fact that we are ALL Americans here. The schools from San Antonio the school from California (read article link)...duh, both reside in AMERICA. Have we forgotten that wonderful "melting pot" mindset? You or your family can be from all over the world, but if you are born here, you are a full blooded American my friend, and that is something to be proud of! 

I think those people asking for apologies should be ashamed of themselves. Heads up: I will wear an American flag any damn day I feel, I will shout proudly "U-S-A" when ever I feel, and I will not be silenced or be pushed into a corner for being patriotic! This is one of the many reasons I will be homeschooling my children. This has gotten way out of control...and just think, I bet they recite this every morning too:

"I pledge allegiance to the flag 
of The United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation, under God, indivisible,
with Liberty and Justice for all."

...and I bet it means nothing to them.


M.LEWIS

No comments:

Post a Comment